How many of you have heard to learn from someone else’s mistakes?
Though a lot of people may know this already, some of us may not. Sites like BrainyQuote and Goodreads hold a library of free knowledge. And guess what? You are hearing it for from successful people who were.
Have you ever had to teach a topic you know very well?
Lets say you’ve learned some skill; you’ve studied it extensively and know it like the back of you hand. If someone were to record you while you were teaching, everything you say could go on BrainyQuote and your knowledge would be spread to anyone with access to the internet. People can learn something instantly even though it took you days to learn that lesson (what we call “learning it the hard way”).
Lets Analyze a Quote
Here is a quote I like from A. R. Rahman:
“Success comes to those who dedicate everything to their passion in life. To be successful, it is also very important to be humble and never let fame or money travel to your head.”
I bolded the words above because it is really useful to know their definitions. Good thing we are in the age we are in now because it is just a Google search away. Lucky for you, I’ve put screenshots below. Along with a deeper thought in red.
- It’s important to know that you cannot be successful if you don’t have an aim or a goal. That is why everyone asks something like “What is your goal?” – because you have to have something to aim for in order to have a path to go through. Try shooting a basketball with no goal, you can’t even begin to think of where to throw the ball. What direction? How much power? Oh, I forgot. There is nothing to throw it at.
- The word ‘dedicate’ seems like a simple word and for some of you the definition might blow you away. But when you dedicate (a verb – so you are doing an action) yourself to your passion, you are supposed to devote everything you have into it. If you look at the screenshot for the word ‘dedicate’ one more time and look at the synonyms, you’ll see an important word, ‘surrender’. Because yes, you are supposed to surrender yourself to your passion.
- This passion is hard to NOT surrender to because it is a strong and barely controllable feeling. The people who love what they’re doing and wouldn’t trade it for the world are extremely tied to their work. They love the feeling of their work; it gives them pleasure.
- If you are not humbled, something will humble you. It’s almost like the phrase “Live by the gun die by the gun.” If you’re not humble that same energy is going to be turned back against you. Therefore, be humble because there is something bigger than you.
This isn’t just one simple way of analyzing quotes in order to get the deeper meaning of them.
Use critical thinking for quotes:
- You should be wondering, what life experiences did they go through in order to learn this lesson?
- Can you find any other sources that can tell you the same story?
- How can you connect this quote with something else that you have to learn?
If you don’t want to spend all that time reading books I suggest you just read a simple quote every now and then. There is even apps that will shoot out notification of the quote of the day. Analyze quotes and understand their meaning then apply it to your life.
One last thing, song lyrics are quotes too.